Thursday 24 September 2015

Doing the County Fair

I've shared a lot of what our life was like in Scotland, and rest assured I've taken a ridiculous amount of photos there to continue to share with y'all.
But I thought I'd swap things around and share with our friends in the UK a taste of the USA.

This may come as a shock to y'all, but we aren't big city people. 
I lived for 4 years of my life in Dallas and 8 months in Houston, Texas and those experiences fulfilled any small desire I had to live in a densely populated area. 

Sure, you have your pros, like a Hobby Lobby every 10 miles, Chick-fil-a, Chipotle, Pei Wei, Starbucks, Gigi's Cupcakes, Firehouse Subs, Whole Foods 
(Ok, well, I haven't ever been in a Whole Foods, but I have been gouged for groceries before, does that count?) 
but y'all not only does my wallet and waistline hate this, 
but there's just something about the country that appeals to me.

Here in USA it's the most wonderful time of the year--county fair time!
Bear in mind y'all a county fair tends to be small.
Each state in the USA has a LOT of counties. After the county fairs the winners go on to the state fair.

But county fair time is a super fun where my husband especially travels back his roots. 



Let's start this show off with a bang and focus on the little girl in the background instead of my boys closely examining the sheep.


We went to the fair especially for the beef show.


This is when kids (and adults) show the cow (or steer) they've raised all year 
and a livestock judge then judges them.

Y'all, they got shampoo and blow dryers going on with these bovines.


You can be awarded for showmanship or best animal, depending on what you've entered.

My husband LOVES this.
Not only did he used to show cattle (and sheep and pigs) growing up, 
but he also has judged and coached a team taking them to nationals.

The children are mildly amused.

It's actually pretty fun because Anderson will tell us all the order the judge will rank the animals.

Then we wait to see if he's correct...

He is.
Every time.

But then the kids get hungry,
which is crazy, because didn't we feed them yesterday?

This is a sampling of fair food,
this is nothing like state fair food, though...
they have deep fried everything there.
They have deep fried bacon there.
Sign. 
Me. 
Up.

But here nachos, and brats 
(bratwurst: super yummy sausages for our UK friends)
are on the menu.

And this is the first time I'd had a nacho in a long, long time.
A corn chip, slathered in gloriously fake cheese 
with a super hot pickled jalepeno pepper.

And now you know why I don't Whole Foods... 


All the boys were out practicing roping.
Just look at all those trucks.
Small town 'Merica.
Amen.

The outrageously large American flag at the fairgrounds.

Wanna know what I've always wanted to do every time I see this flag?
I want to take it down and cover my car with it.
That's it,
just cover it up and stare at it.

Oh my goodness and the pigs were hilarious.

Have y'all ever heard a pig scream?
We did.
It was hideous.
But he wasn't being slaughtered he was being bathed.

My kids all love bath time so I can't make any fun analogies here,
but I'm sure there's one or two of y'all who can relate.

So apparently some chickens come like this.


I'm used to chickens like this, though.
Because we did in fact raise chickens when I was growing up.

To be honest with you I'm considering hiding some in my parents basement now
because what the heck is up with the egg prices in the USA?!


Then there's this precious face.

We also raised A rabbit when I was growing up.
He was an albino miniature lop eared rabbit we got because my dad is a professional magician 
true story
and who doesn't need a precious tiny pure white bunny to pull out of a hat?

14 pounds later we discovered our rabbit, 
Larry Bird 
(he was white and couldn't jump)
was "miniature" because his ears were tiny.
So we fed a big fat rabbit with tiny ears for 12 years.

Back through the sheep....



Airdrie loved 'em too.

Especially when they began to eat her stroller.

So we had a fun family evening 
enjoying a taste of the USA,
country style.

No comments:

Post a Comment